We currently have the following job openings
OPEN POSITIONS for Postdoctoral Scientists in Planetary Radar
Two post-doctoral scientist positions are available in the planetary radar group at the Arecibo Observatory, Puerto Rico. The research emphasis of the group is the study and characterization of near-Earth objects and other solar system bodies. The incumbents will be expected to participate in radar data processing, analysis, and modeling of near-Earth asteroids and other solar system bodies observed using the Arecibo planetary radar system. We encourage applications from candidates with experience in any type of small bodies observations or research. Experience with radar observations and techniques, programming languages, and Linux systems is preferred but not required. Conference travel and equipment support are available. + Read More
Postdoctoral ScholarArecibo, Puerto Rico
Job Description: The successful candidate will participate in the development, implementation, and use of radio techniques for the remote sensing and exploration of the earth's ionosphere. A principle goal will be the use of incoherent and coherent scatter radar data and passive radio for detailed measurements, including HF radar imaging of the ionosphere and HF radio imaging of emissions from stimulated ionospheric turbulence, in conjunction with the NOAA VIPIR HF radar in eastern Puerto Rico and the high-frequency ionospheric modification transmitter at the Arecibo Observatory. Atmospheric research programs at Arecibo Observatory and Interamerican University also include neutral atmospheric and ionospheric research using passive and active optical instruments, the study of aerosols in the neutral atmospheric boundary layer, atmospheric electricity, natural turbulence in the ionosphere, and the development and implementation of new instrumentation and techniques for atmospheric and space plasma research.Read More
Software Engineer IIArecibo, Puerto Rico
- Develop new software, incorporating the use of artificial intelligence techniques to accelerate data processing and analysis. Perform all required testing and maintenance associated with the tool.
- Optimize existing scientific analysis pipelines. Improve existing scripts, identify areas of software improvement, and provide solutions to optimize performance and efficiency.
- Design, develop, and implement database systems based on customer requirements. Optimize existing database systems for performance efficiency. Lead database design and architecture to support application development projects. Prepare design specifications, functional documentation and testing for assigned projects.
- Creating and maintaining web-based tools for locating, retrieving, and manipulating archival data.
- Lead implementation of new software/systems at the facility. Create complex functions, scripts, stored procedures, and triggers to support application development.
- Manage all aspects of the assigned projects, including development of structured project management plan, coordination with stakeholders, and monitoring of project performance.
- Lead implementation of data migration strategy for obsolescent storage media.
- Independently develop/deploy updates to facility web pages.
- Implement new technology initiatives across the site, including data management, networking, web development.
Certified ElectricianArecibo, Puerto Rico
- Install, service, repair, inspect and diagnose electrical systems and equipment
- PMs on electrical equipment per documented procedures, manufacturer’s specifications, and NFPA/NEC standards
- Thorough understanding of electrical distribution from power plant and main electrical sub-stations to end users
- Must be capable of working in a maintenance environment
- Troubleshoot a variety of electrical devices on voltages up to 13,200 volts
- Responsible for electrical and emergency power systems
- Ability to read and interpret engineering drawings and schematics
- Troubleshoot and repair motors, motor control centers, VFD's
- Respond to electrical emergencies after hours on awkward locations and at Telescope suspended Platform 500 feet above ground
- Provide technical support to the HVAC technicians
Professional Security GuardArecibo, Puerto Rico
- Patrol premises randomly and regularly, including buildings and perimeter
- Monitor alarm systems, smoke detectors and video cameras
- Support the Science and Visiting Center
- Patrol parking areas to prevent vehicle damage and vehicle or property thefts
- Direct drivers to parking areas or parking spaces, using hand signals or signal lights as necessary
- Assist in emergency events, ensuring correct procedures are followed
- Keep assorted records and produce required reports
- Provide escort services to telescope operators, students, and visitors
- Perform other duties as required
Purchasing and Procurement SpecialistArecibo, Puerto Rico
- Perform tasks in applying knowledge of current and developing technologies to innovate, develop and apply solutions to a wide range of purchasing and procurement issues
- Purchase parts and materials using Purchase Orders and Blanket Purchasing Agreement to meet AO needs
- Create requests for quotes, source developments, bid analysis awards and other administrative duties
- Perform cost to price analysis
- Reconcile Purchase Orders discrepancies with applicable vendors and issue modifications when required
- Maintain and track rentals within an automated database to ensure that items are returned and received in a timely manner
- Validate and verify the customer’s requirements while checking all available assets before processing through the procurement process
- Perform other duties as assigned